Posted on 13th May 2021
So how to take the first step of a journey when everything you know about it is just a feeling that you want to do it? I don’t know yet but I will begin just as I would begin any new software project.
I would collect some information about the goal and why I want to do such thing at all.
Goals and Motivations
- Reason number one: I have always dreamed of making a such thing.
- Second: I’ve always wanted to create video games that have some depth and relevancy. Such universe would give a platform to do it. Such Universe would bind those games on a more global level.
- Third: I’d like to have a community around it that would make such endeavour meaningful.
- Fourth: I just like to create and try new things.
So, having established that, let’s see how far we will get.
First of all I need to decide where I am going to collect all the information about the Universe.
What would be my medium? The simplest solution would be a plain text editor. I sit down and begin to write.
But where so I begin? How to manage such amount of information? How to build structures, maps, timelines, characters and relations between those objects?
I don’t think a plain text editor would do the job, so I have recently looked around if there are some tools for world creators. And as is so often the case it happens to be such things. I won’t go into details which tool is the best as it was some time ago as I looked around.
I decided to go with World Anvil. I am not advertising it nor am I somehow associated with them. I just found it very useful. Its primary target group are game masters for games such as Dungeons & Dragons but it is good enough for my use case. And it’s not merely a tool. It is more of a framework where you will be asked a lots of questions that help you to get your feet wet.
Big picture or details first?
Well, I don’t know the rules here when it comes to creating a universe. I would say one must adapt to current situation. What is my current situation then?
I don’t want to go Tolkien here creating the Silmarillion. So I choose the practical path. I have some constraints I have to comply:
- I want to create a background for my mobile RPG so its scope is already outlined: it must make sense within one story. There will be some anchors left in the outside world though.
- I have to limit my scope to doable boundaries. In terms of storytelling, world creation, assets, gameplay etc. As is so often the case one wants to create way more things than he is able to do. So I have to come up with a story that is good enough to be able to anchor some details in it but simple and short enough to be able to do it in a foreseeable time. Besides it is a mobile game so by definition it won’t be a never-ending story.
- What is my timeframe? I do not have any deadline. However I’d like to finish this in a year. It may of course take some more time if the community is so eager to support it but even then I’d rather finish one title and get to another instead of going blindly without a goal.
- I will define the world only as far as it is needed for the current title. If I start to develop all myths, stories, civilisations and drama for the whole universe I won’t get very far. I will just create some initial constraints and work me through it.
In next steps I’d like to come up with some first ideas. I’d like to publish some drafts of the world and gameplay.
Don’t hesitate to comment on my posts! I highly appreciate any feedback!
Posted on 13th May 2021
So here it is. My first post on my blog. I have some ideas for the content of this blog, but I don’t want to limit it to only those ideas I have now. I’d like it to grow organically.
Nevertheless here are some ideas I’d like to tackle:
- Universe: I’ve always wanted to create a Universe with a history, world, characters and drama. It would be a cornerstone for my games that I always wanted to create. This will be a project on its own.
- RPG: I want to create a mobile RPG. It won’t be an epic, large game with stunning effects. It would be nested in the Universe. It will be My RPG. And I will write more on this idea right away.
- Branding and publishing: I’ve always wanted to create a brand for my projects that would connect them together. I don’t know yet how it would look like, but I know one thing for sure: it will cost time, energy and lots of content. So this is the first step.
- Developer Struggles: Every new project comes with new struggles and challenges. I’d like to share those challenges with you and to see what road I went afterwards.
- And last but not least the Community: I really want to create something that gives other people joy and fun. So I want every project I create to be connected to some community. I have struggled to complete those projects in my portfolio and to update them because they didn’t get any traction besides some downloads through app stores. It is fun to develop the games but it’s not so fun to see them living in a limbo.
So, I hope you will enjoy reading my blog and see you next time!